Sunday, August 23, 2009

Captain Abu Raed :: I see magic.


Was there a rabbit in the hat? I think not. It's another kind of magic..
I've been having serious goosebumps hearing about this film. Captain Abu Raed (2007) was written and directed by Amin Matalqa, and is the first feature film produced in Jordan in more than 50 years. The film has won high recognition through numerous awards since its first release, including the Sundance Film Festival Award 2008.


I'm a little baffled that the movie has only been released in US and other few countries this August 2009. I doubt it will be shown here, nevertheless, I'll get my hands on it one way or another. I recently saw an interview of Amin Matalqa with Riz Khan on Al-Jazeera while having lunch at mamak. I'll tell you that was the best lunch time I've had in a while :) Some of the kids acting in the movie were discovered in refugee camps and orphanages. In one of Amin's interview, he recalls his first encounter with this little boy (one of the main cast), and he asked the boy:
« What do you want to be when you grow up?
and the little boy replied joyfully:
- I want to be a captain!»
Amin
smiled, it was an obvious match.

Watch the trailer here, and let's a organize a communal viewing I say. This makes me smile.
Captain Abu Raed :: Official Trailer (US)


No comments:

Post a Comment